Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE DESTROYER

Comic Book: THE DESTROYER: The Adventures of Remo and Chiun
Vol. 2 Issue #1 - March 1991 - Marvel Comics
Cover Art: Joe Jusko

Now I was first introduced to Remo Williams by the movie, REMO WILLIAMS: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS starring Fred Ward and Joel Gray. A cop is framed for murder and executed, but he didn't actually die. That man, Remo awakes to discover he had been recruited by Harold Smith to a super secret agency called CURE. Chiun, the Master of Sinanju, trains him to be the world's greatest assassin to protect the Constitution and keep America safe.

The film is based on THE DESTROYER book series which began in 1971 as written by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir and the series still continues today with THE NEW DESTROYER. I'm quite fond of these books and love how the second chapter always begins with the line "His Name is Remo..." (It's the best!)

I've slowly and surely been making my way through the series, I've got #36 POWER PLAY in my purse. It's mostly political satire and action, the early books actually hold up well and hit some familiar relevant topics. The series focus is the relationship between Remo and Chiun, it's Student/Master and Father/Son with a lot of bickering going on. Chiun has a superiority complex and Remo is just the average know it all American guy who happens to be well suited for the powers of Sinanju.

Now there's been a few comic books series for The Destroyer all from Marvel and the Magazine Destroyer comics are one of my favorites, especially with art and story. Right now now though I must focus on the issue at hand, #1 which is a one shot following the Magazine set of nine issues.



Drive-By Heaven
Story: Will Murray
Art: Lee Weeks
A street gang in Detroit got their hands on a Flexible Fifty machine gun and they venture into the rival gang hood and go on a drive-by rampage. Remo and Chiun are in the neighborhood to put an end to the shootings and take the streets back! Of course Remo must explain to Chiun about the cultural differences of Ghetto neighborhood while Chiun insists he already know it all as previous Sinanju Masters had history with African tribes. The issues of race is a constant Destroyer topic, as Chiun compares everything to his Korean ways. (Don't expect political correctness with Chiun though he really is a good guy just a bit selfish being the Master.)



Chiun and Remo have their usual pick on each other banter and the wrongs are righted with bloody violence by way of Sinanju martial arts.



This book also features a second story:
TERMINAL VELOCITY as written by Will Murray with Art by Steve Ditko!


Using Terminal Velocity and lofting quarters from a blimp up in the sky there's a killer on the loose targeting some mobster types. Smith sends Remo and Chiun to investigate! This little tale ventures into the more fantastical side with a killer using a strange weapon of destruction. The bad guy even has a DIME gun! And then the puns flow forth. "I'd say he's Cashed Out, Wouldn't You?" It's a good thing that Remo and Chiun have fast reflexes and smooth dodging skills!



This was a humorous read but as a DESTROYER fan the stories aren't exactly up to par with the big conspiracy type plots that Remo usually unravels. We get just a taste of Remo's true Sinanju skill. He's a guy who can really climb walls, dodge bullets and move faster than anyone, well except of course Chiun. At one point Remo does worry a bit unnecessarily about Chiun not dodging the killer change. Dude, it's Chiun!

The art was fine, Ditko's was fun and bright, very classic comic book. Though the cover with Remo is not how I picture Remo at all, he's got to be more rugged! Yup. Lee Weeks art suited Remo more but didn't offer much for Chiun. Oh Well.

I'm inspired to dig out my magazine issues of The Destroyer and revisit them, but my Magazine sized comic books haven't been sorted in a while. Actually, the magazine books are mostly old Conan isues and those are my dad's. I think I'll ask him if he's read any in a while.

Once again here's hoping I can get focused and read more, sadly I'm not even halfway through DESTROYER #36! Ahhh, can't be distracted, "must read, must read" that is my new mantra! YUP!

Now that Wednesday Comic Book Day has arrived I'm hoping to pick up my books tomorrow! I'll work on sharing my thoughts on my current pull list but my back issues need love too! I'm gonna try and pick what's next! Remember: COMIC BOOKS KICK ASS!!

2 comments:

  1. "Karate, Kung Fu, Ninjitsu... they are but shadows. Sunanju is the Sun."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like Destroyer comics, eh? This may be right up your alley:

    http://secondsightgraphix.blogspot.com/2014/09/at-last-destroyer-returns-to-comic-pages_30.html

    ReplyDelete