Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cat Reads Comics Begins!

This is the year I give my comic book collection some long overdue attention. Being the movie going fanatic that I am my comics have gathered some dust and my "read-it" pile grows even higher.

Now, I've been collecting comic books since I was a young girl and it all began with Book Castle in Burbank who sold comics for a quarter each, four for a dollar! That fateful day that I began flipping through their rows of long boxes I found some Superman books and an Action Comics issue with BOOSTER GOLD beating up SUPERMAN. I wondered who could be doing such a thing to the Man of Steel and before long I was on a mission to collect all 25 issues of the Man of Gold!



I kept going to Book Castle, buying more and more books, mostly old DC and Marvel books; Team-Ups, Two-In-Ones, Batman, Superman, Fantastic Four, Angel Love and I'd read this and that. It wasn't really until THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN that I got myself a bit up to date and really started buying new books each week, mostly at GOLDEN APPLE on melrose. When I went off to college I continued buying books weekly thanks to LEE'S COMICS in San Mateo and that's where I got into more indie titles.

There came the day that I really had to organize my collection and things got bagged and boarded and boxed in long boxes. I went to comic book conventions and dived into the back issue bins filling in gaps and appeasing my "collector mentality" as I strived for complete runs on old series. I still love going to conventions, like San Diego Comic Con where I splurge on lots and lots of comic books!

I just recently filed away a mountain of comic books, including my haul from this past Summer's COMIC CON adding 3 long boxes to my collection. That brings my grand total to 67 boxes, each one filled up!



Now, here at this new blog spot, "CAT READS COMICS," I hope to get myself focused on reading my comic books! I do love reading my comics, I just get distracted quite easily.

I've filled up a short box with a few different comic books and the reading has begun! Each Wednesday I plan to post about a series I've just read. I'm going to be going through some old books and be catching up on current story-lines. You can expect a few ramblings on my favorite BOOSTER GOLD, I warn you now. I'll also do write ups about buying comics at cons, and sharing cool covers I come across.

Over on the sidebar I'll update my weekly pull list and you can see what I regularly collect. Perhaps when I buy I'll say which shop I went to as I like a few different stores here in Los Angeles.

Tomorrow (January 13th) I'll put up a comic book post and I hope who ever reads this enjoys my take on comic books!

Up, Up and away!!

Comic Books Kick Ass!!

7 comments:

  1. I'll admit I haven't been a comic book fan for a long time (movies took over completely) but I am a fan of your enthusiasm and maybe some of it will rub off on me. So ramble away, little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice idea for a new blog. I'm definitely interested. (when you asked how many long boxes, I never would've guessed anything close to 67!) I'm managing around 20 but cannot imagine what 67 would be like (or what kind of space that would consume!). Good luck on your endeavor... hope you read lots of comics this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radical young lady! Glad you brought my kids into the madness. They ripped apart a Superman comic in the car today fighting over it. At least it had already been read 3 times. But Celia cried anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. Looking forward to reading your comic adventures!

    ReplyDelete