Monday, November 4, 2013

Comikaze, My Nieces Visit Their First Convention!

I love going to conventions! I am a nerd!!! So yeah, I love going to Comic Book conventions. I've been going to conventions of all kind for a long, long, long time now! I go in search of comics, toys, books, wallets, stuff, buttons, movies, panels, swag, papers, cards, artists,...I go to talk to people, to hang out with friends, to browse, wander, find new things, find old things, take pictures, get autographs and all the while lugging a backpack filled to the brim.

My dad and I have been wanting to take my nieces (his grandkids!) to a convention for sometime now. They're old enough to walk on their own, and they are well on their way to nerdy nerdom. They know their DC superheroes (they know MARVEL ones too). They have long heard of my convention going adventures and long to be walking the aisles too! YUP!


Now, it wasn't planned as well as we hoped but this past Sunday my nieces, Celia and Effie, came with me to Comikaze to stroll the aisles for a few hours and it was a super duper blast, indeed!!!

On the way I gave my nieces a little convention rundown, the things you need; backpack, pens, note pad, $, water, snacks, comfy shoes and to be ready to WALK! They were rearin' to go!

We got in pretty quick with badge stuff and made our way inside and bam found a MY LITTLE PONY graphic novel which they got signed by the artist. He even did a sketch of Pinkie Pie!

We walked on some more, in a real zig-zag way instead of up and down each aisle because I just let the girls lead me to whatever caught their eye. We found Peter S. Beagle the author of THE LAST UNICORN. I bought Celia the book which Mr. Beagle signed. I told him how my VHS of the movie doesn't work anymore and he said his didn't either.


Celia and Effie both were drawn to artist booths, lookin' at hand crafted figures, drawings and Disney Vinylmations. We got some buttons, a little drawing. We saw cosplayers and I convinced them to jump in for photos.




Around the autograph aisle we spotted Lynne Marie Stewart (Miss Yvone) and John Paragon (Jambi) and we had to go say HI! The girls got to shake Miss Yvone's hand and Jambi said "Mekka-Lekka-Hi-Mekka-Hiney-Ho" for us. It was pretty awesome!

Sadly Celia couldn't stay as too long at the convention, she had to go to Orchestra. But Effie and I got to wander around some more! We were searching for more POP figures (we had already bought a few) and I found a POP Superman Wallet! With Effie we did our best to stay on the aisle way and weave up and down in order. I ran into a few familiar faces and that was fun too!



We found the ECTO-1, KITT, some Disney Princesses and a dancing SPIDER-MAN. Effie and I talked to Richard Steven Horvitz (INVADER ZIM) and even spotted Invader Zim creator Jhonen Vasquez just sittin' and chillin' at a booth. After a while we took a break and parked it to read Effie's MY LITTLE PONY BOOK.


And of course we stayed inside until we got the announcement that the hall was closed. We skipped our way around to just look a bit more as people began packing up. I just wish Celia could have been there with us and my dad too, as we're all just big nerds!

I can't wait to take them to more cons! Yup! Nerds have all the fun!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for taking them! I'm jealous! I wanna go to a con with you too!

    ReplyDelete