Thursday, May 23, 2013

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! 2013



The first Saturday of May is one of my favorite days of the year! Yup! FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!!!

This year I went on a FREE COMIC BOOK DAY adventure with my guy Dave, my nieces Celia and Effie and my comic book/ podcast pal Matt. The five of us went to five comic book stores across Los Angeles and had a ton of fun.
Effie, Celia and Cat!
Yup! The day started with a visit to GOLDEN APPLE on Melrose. We lined up at 10am as the store opened. We waited in line quite a while but got comics, Jarritos sodas and free soft serve ice cream. We got autographed UGLY DOLL comics and met a super WONDER WOMAN. Only one of us got the Iron Man HEROCLIX! Those guys went fast! GOLDEN APPLE has always done a great job on FCBD and this year did not disappoint! About an hour after we left the GOLDEN APPLE some craziness occurred! Check THIS OUT!!!

Gettin' comics and Jarritos!
Thanks ICEMAN for the soft serve! 

That's good soft serve!


WONDER WOMAN and WONDER KIDS!
Then off to a quick stop at MELTDOWN on Sunset Blvd. Meltdown was the bigger disappointment of the day. But comics were snagged for all!

Outside MELTDOWN!
Then into the valley we all drove to make our way to the groovy EARTH-2 on Ventura Blvd. It is one of my favorite shops but not one I get to that often. There was a line of people getting comics, the store was packed. This was the place my nieces and I splurged on comics. I got my weekly comics and found more goodies. Yeah, it's hard to resist comics, new, old and free!

STORM TROOPERS!!
Sketching!
Gerard Duggan was coming!
SUPER FIGHT!
After a lunch break the comic book search continued and we settled in at BLASTOFF COMICS in North Hollywood. There was a great 50% off trade sale going on. The store is very sleek and caters to collectors. It's a super cool spot. My nieces and I found some graphic novels before we left!


Gimmie Gimmie!

More Sketching going on!
And then the last but never least shop on our tour was HOUSE OF SECRETS in Burbank. This is the store I visit most, just after GOLDEN APPLE. The place was pretty busy and the staff looked beat. It had been a long FREE COMIC BOOK DAY for everyone. I couldn't resist the cute please of my nieces and we found some HEROCLIXS and more kid comics. 



And that concludes the FCBD 2013 adventure. As my nieces and I say, we wish everyday was FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! YUP!!

No comments:

Post a Comment